[MEncoder-users] How to limit max bitrate in xvid?

Pepe rvm3000 at ya.com
Fri Nov 24 01:45:18 CET 2006

Some time ago Guillaume POIRIER wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 11/16/06, Pepe <rvm3000 at ya.com> wrote:
> > My standalone player doesn't play well scenes with high bitrate (specially
> if
> > the video has b-frames). You know, those scenes with high motion or a lot
of
> > water or trees... (image slows down and sound cuts).
> >
> > Is there any way to limit the maximum bitrate xvid should use?
> >
> > I've been looking at the man page. Could the options
curve_compression_high or

http://www1.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/menc-feat-xvid.html#menc-feat-xvid-encoding-profiles

> Please test and report if they work for you
>
> Guillaume

My videos use to be 576x432 or 512x384, with bitrate about 800 kbps - 1400
kbps. I think none of the profiles would work for me. Unless I use 352x288
which has a max bitrate of 768, the rest have a very big max bitrate, all
above 3000 kbps.

If I use 1000 kbps, according to what mencoder says, some time it could use
2000 kbps or a little more for high motion scenes (btw, is it possible to
know the current bitrate in mplayer when playing a file? it would be very
useful). Well, my standalone player already has problems with that bitrate,
2000 kbps, so limiting it to 3000 would do nothing.

So I'd like to limit the max bitrate to 2000 kbps or so, is it possible?

--
Pepe