[MEncoder-users] Help with mencoder/codecs on G4 upgraded PowerMac 9600

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Thu Nov 23 14:08:32 CET 2006

Hi,

On 11/23/06, larrystotler at netscape.net <larrystotler at netscape.net> wrote:
>  I've installed mplayer/mencoder on my PowerMac 9600. Here's the specs:
>
>  openSuSE v10.0, kernel 2.6.13.x
>  G4/700/256k/2M(L3) w/ a 50Mhz bus
>  1GB RAM(interleaved)
>  40MB/s SCSI HDD
>
>  I'm not so sure this is a mencoder problem, but here goes:
>
>  re-encoding audio with mencoder using mp3lame, I get about 45-50fps. This is faster than my 500Mhz Xeon, which gets about 33-37fps on the same files.
>
>  mencoder file -oac mp3lame -ovc copy -o test.audio
>  mencoder test.audio -oac copy -ovc xvid -xvidencopts pass=1:turbo -o test.avi
>  mencoder test.audio -oac copy -ovc xvid -xvidencopts pass=2:bitrate=1536 -o test.avi
>
>  However, when I re-encode video using xvid, I only get about 6-8fps. On the Xeon 500, I get around 12-14, again on the same files. On the x86, I install and compile nasm before compiling xvid. Since nasm is an IA32 assembler, I have tried installing yasm instead. With or without yasm, there is no difference in speed.

XviD encoding performance is smth that depends on how optimized it is
wrt Altivec optimizations. I wouldn't be surprised if XviD wasn't as
extensively optimized in Altivec as it is in SSE/MMX, just because the
size of the userbase is different.

>  Also, video playback is horrible on this system. I thought that my G3/400 was bad, but the G4/700 is hardly any better. Doesn't matter if it's DVD/MPEG2, XviD, or X264 .avi files. I get the "your system is too slow to play this".

That's not normal. Please post your ./configure commandline, the
console output of ./configure and a bziped configure.log

>  Other than the slow memory bus of 50Mhz(interleaving is supposed to increase that by about 20%), this system is fairly fast. So, I'm wondering if it has to do with how I'm compiling MPlayer/mencoder.
>
>  Does anyone have any suggestions/tips for compiling on G4 based systems? Thanx

I'd say make sure Altivec is detected and configured it, that you use
GCC 4 or newer and you should be all set.

Guillaume
--
With DADVSI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DADVSI), France finally has
a lead on USA on selling out individuals right to corporations!