[MEncoder-users] Re: MEncoder-users Digest, Vol 27, Issue 20

pfile at pacbell.net pfile at pacbell.net
Tue Nov 21 17:13:17 CET 2006

On Nov 21, 2006, at 3:00 AM, RC wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 19:56:04 -0800
> pfile at pacbell.net wrote:
>
>> in this situation, why does mencoder have to insert duplicate frames
>> to maintain the proper framerate? are the extra frames required
>> solely due to rounding error in the frame display time?
>
> Skip/Dupe frames are usually to maintain proper A/V sync.

right. so my question is, if in theory the video still has the same
length as it did before, why would there be the need to change the A/
V sync?
is it only because you can't match the exact required frame display
time and after a while you need to add or delete a frame because of
this?

i tried -mc 0 -noskip to avoid duped frames and somewhat predictably
the audio is drifting against the video. again, i'm trying to
understand how these release groups manage to transcode atsc shows
with perfect a/v sync and pretty much perfect decimation. i know they
are probably not using mencoder, but if virtualdub/etc. can do this
then there's no reason mencoder cant (given enough code :) it seems
to me that the only way to fix this is to scale the audio, but i want
to make sure that's really the case before i go down that rathole.

thanks

rob