[MEncoder-users] Re: MEncoder-users Digest, Vol 27, Issue 20

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Wed Nov 22 01:29:05 CET 2006

On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 08:13:17 -0800
pfile at pacbell.net wrote:

> if in theory the video still has the same length as it did before, why
> would there be the need to change the A/  V sync?

Because the container (PTS) says audio frame X should be playing when
video frame Y is displayed...  If the two are substantially apart,
frames are added or removed.

> but if virtualdub/etc. can do this then there's no reason mencoder
> cant (given enough code :) it seems to me that the only way to fix
> this is to scale the audio, but i want  to make sure that's really the
> case before i go down that rathole.

With the little info you have provided, all I can say is that numerous
people are using mencoder to do the exact same conversion you are
without any sync or framedrop/duplicates problems.