[MEncoder-users] cartoon encoding with libavcodec

Phil Ehrens phil at slug.org
Wed Nov 15 05:23:02 CET 2006

RC wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 16:56:31 -0400
> Giacomo Comes <comes at naic.edu> wrote:
>
> > In the html documentation the only suggestions are:
> > cmp and subcmp: 2, vlelim and vcelim untouched.
> >
> > Are these options sufficient or there are others that can be used?
>
> qns=2 also helps quite a bit, if speed isn't an issue.
>
> And as for hqdn3d, I'd be very careful about large "time" values...  It
> tends to cause "worms" across the screen, as parts of the picture are
> dragged along behind, when the video pans.

Just for the record, at 6 the "worms" will be no more than light
edges on vertical lines, there will be no trailing effects.
If the source has bad ringing, the light edges may be preferred
to carrying nasty ringing over into the encode. At 5 no light
edge should be produced. You can of course use 6:6:5 safely.

Please experiment on your own. It should take you only a few
minutes to find good values.