bug, Re: [MEncoder-users] trimming video

Sean Brady sbrady at oversee.net
Wed May 31 19:48:00 CEST 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-31 at 13:52 +0800, Michael Holland wrote:
> Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:

> >> Thanks for the help, but I believe those are only used for playback, not
> >> for encoding.  I tried them regardless, and they didn't work for me.
>
> I use '-sb' for setting the start with mpeg PS or TS files.
> I needs a few successive approximations with mplayer to find the correct
> position.
>
> > Well, they are supposed to work, so please check again. If they don't work
> > for your file, it may be a bug.
>
> I will confirm that '-ss' does NOT work for mencoder with MPEG-PS/TS
> input, using recent CVS.  Either it seems to ignore it, or given a
> large enough arg to -ss, it dumps core:
>
> Flushing video frames
> [NULL @ 0x85bb0a8]picture size invalid (0x0)
> zsh: segmentation fault
>
> However '-ss' works correctly with mplayer on the same data. I had
> stopped using it because it used to be inaccurate for mpeg streams.
>
> cheers, Mike.

Hi Mike.  Thanks for checking that out... yeah, I get segmentation
faults quite often when using the -ss.... it seems to work for me in
certain cases, like when encoding .wmv to .avi - that worked... but I
need to encode from .flv to .flv... just with some transformations, like
rotation, and trimming from front and end... but I get faults whenever
applying -ss on the .flv files.

Thanks,
Sean