[MEncoder-users] Relation of bandwidth and bitrate

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Fri May 26 00:31:25 CEST 2006

GILBERTO SANCHEZ wrote:
> Hello lists,
>
> First thanks by all answer that i have been recived.
>
> Well, my question is some technical, i need to know the relation ship between Bandwidth and audio and video bitrate used in the compression, and how do i calculate the bitrate (and others parameters implicated) to transmit over a bandwidth especific in realtime.
>
> If you knok some links where i can found this,its has been very helpfully to me.

Well, simply enough, the total bandwidth use of streaming an a/v file is
the sum of:
* audio bitrate
* video bitrate
* (bitrate of any other streams)
* container overhead (small)

Of course, if you have multiple streams of any kind you add them all
together. The container overhead depends mostly on what kind of
container you use (AVI, MKV, MP4, etc.) and is rather small compared to
the audio and video bitrates.

With variable bitrate, the bandwidth usage at any given moment will
vary. If the client program has a large enough buffer and/or the
connection is fast enough this won't be a problem.

If you need to find out some exact numbers you probably ought to just do
some experiments on your own. I've never had to, myself, so I can't help
you there.

-Corey