[MEncoder-users] Extracting DVD-audio?

sofasurfer at gmail.com sofasurfer at gmail.com
Fri May 5 19:59:27 CEST 2006

On Fri, 05 May 2006 11:35:27 -0400
"Jay W. Summet" <jay at summet.com> wrote:

> I used vobcopy and only got 4 VOB's (around 6gb) which appeared to
> have all of the (TV) episodes in them, but none of the special
> features, FBI warning, menu videos, etc. I also didn't see/hear any
> of the audio program, so I don't think it was included in the VOB's.
> (each VOB has mpeg2 video, a52 audio (2 channels, english and
> spanish).
>
> I found a workaround (not involving mencoder) that I'm going to use. I
> play the dvd using xine, and use audacity to record from my "vol" or
> soundcard directly. This has the obvious downsides that it only works
> in realtime, can't be easily automated, and prevents me from doing
> anything else that uses audio at the same time, but it is easy to get
> to work, and for 20 odd disks won't be too bad.
>
> Jay

if i'm not wrong, xine will automaticaly write a wav file if audio card
is bussy. so, you might try setting xine audio output to 'oss' and,
before starting xine, start using audio by some other program; when you
start xine, it should  write a xine_output,wav (or something similar)
in the working folder.
This was standard xine behavior about a year ago, matbe they changed
something....

i.