[MEncoder-users] dts audio ?

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Tue Mar 7 22:28:12 CET 2006

SZABO Zsolt wrote:

> I have a DVD, but there is some problem with the codec...
>
> [..]
>  Software: MEncoder 1.0pre7try2-3.3.5

I don't know whether or not this will do anything to solve your problem,
but there is one thing you will always hear if you come to these mailing
lists using any version as outdated as the most recent release is: "use
the CVS version".

There is an excellent chance that any given problem you may be
encountering in the release version has been fixed since the last
release. Even if it hasn't, we only make changes and provide patches for
the CVS version, so if you've found an actual bug you won't see the fix
without upgrading to CVS (or waiting, perhaps years, for another
release) anyway.

> Opening audio decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg/libavcodec audio decoders
> Cannot find codec 'dts' in libavcodec...
> ADecoder init failed :(
> ADecoder init failed :(
> Opening audio decoder: [hwac3] AC3/DTS pass-through S/PDIF
> No accelerated IMDCT transform found
> hwac3: switched to DTS, 768000 bps, 48000 Hz
> AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, ac3, 768.0 kbit/50.00% (ratio: 96000->192000)
> Selected audio codec: [hwdts] afm:hwac3 (DTS through S/PDIF)
> vo: X11 running at 1280x1024 with depth 24 and 32 bpp (":10.0" => remote
> display

Why is there a VO method being initialized when you're using MEncoder?
Or is this output actually from MPlayer? If so, why are you posting this
to the MEncoder users list?

> Cannot find codec matching selected -vo and video format 0x6F4E7246.
> Read DOCS/HTML/en/codecs.html!
> Checking audio filter chain for 48000Hz/2ch/ac3 -> 48000Hz/2ch/ac3...
> AF_pre: 48000Hz/2ch/ac3
> [AO OSS] Can't set audio device /dev/dsp to ac3 output, trying s16le...
> AO: [oss] 48000Hz 2ch s16le (2 bps)

Same as above - why would MEncoder need to open an audio device for
output? It should just be writing to the specified output file.

(Just for the record, I *have* checked, and confirmed that MEncoder - at
least the latest CVS version thereof - does not give anything like this
type of output, at least not when playing an MPEG file. I don't have a
DVD drive installed at the moment, so I can't confirm on that, but I
doubt it would be that much different.)

> Building audio filter chain for 48000Hz/2ch/ac3 -> 48000Hz/2ch/s16le...
> [format] Sample format big-endian AC3 not yet supported
> [libaf] Reinitialization did not work, audio filter 'format' returned
> error code
> Couldn't find matching filter/ao format!
>
> The speakers produce only noise. If I give -ac hwac3 then there is
> nothing, i.e. no sound:
>
>  Software: MEncoder 1.0pre7try2-3.3.5
> Forced audio codec: hwac3
> Cannot find codec for audio format 0x2001.
> Read DOCS/HTML/en/codecs.html!
>
> Any hint?

The problem appears to be that the audio involved is not in a format
which is compatible with your audio output device, and the 'format'
audio filter (which would have been inserted automatically, to attempt
to convert to a compatible format) does not know how to convert from the
format which it *is* in.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.