[MEncoder-users] Re: Why use TOOLS/calcbpp.pl and scale ?

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 18:54:50 CET 2006

Hi,

On 3/2/06, Hynek Schlawack <hs+mencoder at ox.cx> wrote:

> >> How about AAC? Does it also have these artifacts?
> > It's all a matter of implementation. Maybe, maybe not, as there's
> > nothing in the norm that makes either Vorbis or AAC _have to_ behave
> > bad in such cases.
>
> Yeah, my question was misleading (and grammatically wrong ;)).
>
> It should have been: "How about a recent FAAC? Does it also has these
> artifacts?"

I honestly don't know. The best if to check for yourself. I guess it's
still in general worse than vorbis (I haven't tried myself, but older
blind tests said that FAAC was worse), but _maybe_ in the cases where
vorbis screws, FAAC doesn't screw as much.

But I have never tried FAAC, so just don't trust me on that :)

Guillaume
--
Reinventing the wheel certainly is annoying, but as long as all other
wheels are square...

Reimar Döffinger