[MEncoder-users] Codec for Home Movies

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Sat Jun 24 10:30:54 CEST 2006

Hi,

On 6/24/06, BAsh Bash <bash685 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I have an ancient handycam from Sony and a box full of tapes. What I want to
> do is convert them to digital in a format that can be later be reencoded
> again if needed and burnt onto DVD. These tapes are irreplaceable and as
> such I wanted a lossless codec for both audio and video. I have a BT878
> capture card and using streamer I have dumped the data onto disk, at
> something like a 1 GB per 15mins its not very efficent. Due to the PAL
> format between the computer and the camera, they are interlaced as well.
>
> What I want to do is convert the avi file into something more managable
> without lossing much data and also to deinterlace them. The -vf pullup,pp=md
> option dosn't provide great video so I'll need something better (but
> probably slower - this dosn't matter). I'm not sure what format streamer is
> outputing but here is the result of midentify:

You need to read more of our fine docs:
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/menc-feat-dvd-mpeg4.html#menc-feat-dvd-mpeg4-interlacing

pullup needs softskip

That doesn't have much importance becaue I doubt you content is
telecined (since you gave us very few details, I can only guess).
Read this doc "almost" top to bottom:
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/menc-feat-dvd-mpeg4.html
This will explain a lot of things you need to know to identify your source.

Then, to create a dvd:
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/menc-feat-vcd-dvd.html

I hope it helps.

Guillaume

--
"If God had wanted us to vote, he would have given us candidates."
  - Jay Leno