[MEncoder-users] Re: sony psp format

Jon Drukman jsd at cluttered.com
Tue Jun 20 18:58:51 CEST 2006

Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
> Here is what a search of the archives should have told you (should you
> have searched):
>
> mencoder -oac lavc -ovc lavc -of lavf -lavcopts
> aglobal=1:vglobal=1:vcodec=mpeg4:acodec=aac -af lavcresample=24000 -vf
> harddup -lavfopts
> format=psp:i_certify_that_my_video_stream_does_not_use_b_frames -ofps
> 30000/1001
>
> also note that the width * height must be <= 64000 and both must be
> multiplies of 16
>
> The title should be set with option: -info name=...
>
> Note that I can't test any of this, as I don't have a PSP (but if
> anyone wants to offer one to me, I wouldn't mind ;-)

i have a PSP and have been testing mencoder and ffmpeg.  unfortunately i
have found that mencoder sometimes generates files that the PSP will not
play completely.  it will start and play for a while but eventually the
PSP will stop and display "cannot play this movie."  i haven't isolated
why it happens.  i suspect the bitrate may be peaking above what the PSP
can handle.

this is a bummer because one of my use cases is converting WMV3 to PSP
and of course only mencoder can read WMV3.

-jsd-