[MEncoder-users] Playing mencoder encoder movie in other players

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Sun Jun 18 21:22:28 CEST 2006

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 13:01:26 +0600
"Abu Zaher" <zaher14 at gmail.com> wrote:

> i have another movie file which is about 3.4GB (directly ripped from
> dvd with 'dvd://1 -oac copy -ovc copy'  option) which plays fine with
> mplayer but mplayer cannot seek that file.

Yes, I've seen situations where the AVI muxer doesn't properly create
the index.  Remux the AVI (-oac copy -ovc copy) with the "-forceidx"
(or "-noidx") option, and it should fix the seeking problem.

> not 2 mention the non-playablity of the file with other players.

There's nothing that can be done about that.  The old AVI standard has a
2GB filesize limit, and ODML is the only standard way to exceed that.
If players don't support ODML, they can't possibly handle AVI files
larger than 2GBs.

The only option, if you really need compatibility, is to split the large
file into chunks smaller than 2GBs.  But in this case, that would be
pointless, as very few players will accept MPEG-2 video in an AVI
container.  And those players that will handle MPEG-2 AVIs (MPlayer,
ffplay, VLC, Xine, avidemux2... Perhaps MPC?) have ODML support, anyhow.