[MEncoder-users] Video Quality

larrystotler at netscape.net larrystotler at netscape.net
Tue Jun 13 04:17:52 CEST 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: Larry <larrywyb at widgeteye.homeip.net>

>When I record from the TV I get a fair picture at 320x240 using -ovc
lavc but when I record at 640x480 the picture degrades pretty much with
that
>swimmy looking picture when people move around. I hope you know what I
mean by swimmy looking.  :) I don't know what else to call it.

>Anyway when I use -ovc copy the picture is great, the only problem is
that the file size is monstrous, 16 gig for a 15 minute recording.
WOOF!

>Is there anything I can do to increase the quality? I've tried several
codecs with not much difference.

Where are you?  Are you recording PAL or NTSC?  And, don't forget that
TVs have a lower res than 640x480.