[MEncoder-users] Fwd: Questions on Mencoder performace

larrystotler at netscape.net larrystotler at netscape.net
Fri Jun 9 17:17:55 CEST 2006

Ok, I've done some quick testing.  The system is a Socket 478 board
with SDRAM @ 133Mhz.  I have installed my 400GB SATA drive from my
server, so disk performance should not be a factor(which everyone
seemed to agree it wouldn't).  I tried encoding a file on the second
pass(had already done the first pass on the server) with the Mobile
Celeron 2.4.  Got about 5 % in and then stopped ot and installed a P4
1.8A chip.  Restarted and restarted the encoding.  The p4 is running at
9fps while the Mobile Celeron was running at 10fps.  So, it looks like
the processor speed of the mobile celeron gives it an advantage over
the P4.  It's 33% faster, bit I'm seeing about a 10% increase.  So, I'm
now leaning toward the memory being the bottleneck.  My next step will
be to try to get a newer board that has DDR and see what the results
are.  I will let you know.

Mobile Celeron 2.4Ghz, 256k L2 cache
Pentium 4 1.8(A)Ghz, 512k L2 cache