[MEncoder-users] How to Change FPS on a Broken TS Stream?

Trent Piepho xyzzy at speakeasy.org
Tue Jun 6 05:54:19 CEST 2006

On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 Bill Adams <gofish at evilbill.org> wrote:

> I am still not able to re-encode to dvd. If I try to specify "-fps
> 60000/1001 -ofps 60000/1001" when encoding the DVD, it gives back the
> same error: "[mpeg2video @ 0x861accc]MPEG1/2 does not support 19001/317
> fps". So the "vstrict=-2" stops mencoder from complaining about the
> broken frame rate. Say I run this:

That sounds like mplayer's broken frame rate conversion.  mplayer stores
the framerate as a floating point number internally, then uses a function
in libavcodec to convert it to a fraction.  This function doesn't work.
It's turning 60000/1001 into 19001/317, which is nearly the same but
not exactly the same.  I got into a big flamewar with Rich last year
when he insisted the code in mplayer would always work, and refused to
even look at my example of when it didn't.