[MEncoder-users] Fwd: Questions on Mencoder performace

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 22:14:36 CEST 2006

Hi,

On 6/6/06, Ivo <ivop at euronet.nl> wrote:

> You might also try compiling with icc, the Intel C Compiler. libmpeg2 used
> to be broken when compiled with icc (version 8 I believe) but that might
> have been fixed.

Nope. I tried ICC 9.1 and it still totally breaks libmpeg2.

> But libavcodec ran fine when I last tried.

ICC 9.1 chokes on a fair deal of inline asm. GCC isn't that better (cf
all what had to be done to add GCC4 compliance and the numerous issues
with GCC3.3).

> Intel claims
> its compiler generates better code specifically for Intel CPU's. By
> default, icc emulates gcc as far as inline assembly is concerned, so
> MMX/SSE(2) specific code should get compiled in as usual.

ICC is a wonderful compiler... but it's not use by most folks around
here, so it's not supported up to the point that it's usable to
compile software such as FFmpeg or MPlayer. x264 compiles fine out of
the box though.

At some point, I tried to see what could be done to add support for
ICC but I guess I wasn't motivated enough to face ppl's flames.

Guillaume
--
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm."
 -- Winston Churchill