[MEncoder-users] Audio/Video out-of-sync when using the "-noskip -mc 0"

Tsz Ming WONG tszming at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 15:34:13 CEST 2006

On 7/7/06, scostas <scostas at det.uvigo.es> wrote:

> Tsz Ming WONG wrote:
>
> Hi!
>
> > When using the option : "-noskip -mc 0" in converting a wmv file to a
> flv
> > file, I found that the audio stream is a little bit faster then the
> video
> > stream...
> [...]
> > Skipping frame!
> > Pos: 275.3s   8233f (99%) 114fps Trem:   0min  11mb  A-V:0.052 [296:32]
>
> > Did anyone have this problem before?
>
> Yes, I did the same :)
>
> The error is to use "-noskip" with mencoder. You receive the "skipping
> frame" message because the output frames per second is less that the
> input (maybe you are converting an NTSC file -with 30fps- to PAL -25
> fps-). Mencoder must throw one frame each 5 to adjust the framerate.
>
> If you use the "-noskip" option, mencoder will put all the 30 frames,
> but will set the output FPS to 25, so the picture will be played a
> little slower, and the audio will get more and more desinchronized.

Hi all,

Consider if I never know the input framerate of the wmv, what are the best
settings to convert to a wmv to flv ? For example, YouTube allow people to
upload wmv and convert to flv, different users must have different framerate
of wmv files being uploaded, how they tackle this kind of problems?

Is that the only solution is not to use "-noskip -mc 0"  and end up with
many ugly warnings...?

Btw, anyone know the tools behind YouTube ? Seems Google Video also use
mencoder or ffmpeg?

Regards,
Ming