[MEncoder-users] Audio/Video out-of-sync when using the "-noskip -mc 0"

scostas scostas at det.uvigo.es
Fri Jul 7 14:11:34 CEST 2006

Tsz Ming WONG wrote:

Hi!

> When using the option : "-noskip -mc 0" in converting a wmv file to a flv
> file, I found that the audio stream is a little bit faster then the video
> stream...
[...]
> Skipping frame!
> Pos: 275.3s   8233f (99%) 114fps Trem:   0min  11mb  A-V:0.052 [296:32]

> Did anyone have this problem before?

Yes, I did the same :)

The error is to use "-noskip" with mencoder. You receive the "skipping
frame" message because the output frames per second is less that the
input (maybe you are converting an NTSC file -with 30fps- to PAL -25
fps-). Mencoder must throw one frame each 5 to adjust the framerate.

If you use the "-noskip" option, mencoder will put all the 30 frames,
but will set the output FPS to 25, so the picture will be played a
little slower, and the audio will get more and more desinchronized.