[MEncoder-users] Output variable framerate?

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 19:04:47 CET 2006

Hi,

On 1/21/06, Pierre Thibault <thibault at physics.cornell.edu> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a video (ripped from DVD) that contains two types of scenes:
> genuine 30fps interlaced scenes and 24fps scenes telecined to 30fps.
> When I use -vf pullup with -ofps 29.97, mencoder does a great job at
> removing all the interlacing artifacts in both types of scenes, but
> generates one extra frame every other 5 in the telecined case, giving
> a jerky output. When instead I use -vf pullup with -ofps 24, the 30fps
> scenes become jerky because of the frames dropped. So, ideally, I
> would like to encode in a variable framerate, going from 30fps to
> 24fps, depending on the scene. Is there a way to inform mencoder to do
> such a thing? For instance, I could first run  -vf pullup -ofps 29.97,
> then another run when mencoder detects patterns of duplicate frames to
> infer the lower framerate in the scenes where it is the case.
>
> Thank you for any information you could give me about that!

MEncoder can't currently do what you're after.

Guillaume

--
Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.
    Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

MPlayer's doc is offline. Find some fresh one here:
http://tuxrip.free.fr//MPlayer-DOCS-HTML/en/
http://tuxrip.free.fr//MPlayer-DOCS-HTML/fr/