[MEncoder-users] mencoder -ss ?? doesnt seem to want to work

Oded Shimon ods15 at ods15.dyndns.org
Sun Jan 15 16:41:15 CET 2006

On Sun, Jan 15, 2006 at 04:35:53PM +0100, SZABO Zsolt wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jan 2006, Rich Felker wrote:
>
> >>Whether -ss works or not depends on whether the video in question is
> >>broken or not...  Yours apparently is.  Try a different file, and you
> >>should have better results.  If you really need to seek, you can re-mux
> >>it into an MPEG-PS or AVI file with mencoder.
> >
> >An even better method is to make an editlist (EDL) file with the start
> >and stop times you want, and use:
> >
> >mencoder -hr-edl-seek -edl file.edl ....
> >
> >This will give frame-exact cutting.
>
> This option (hr-edl-seek) is not documented in 1.0pre7try2, is it?

It is there, just missing documentation. 1.0pre7 is rather old, CVS has
documentation for -hr-edl-seek .

> I would like to "reencode" an avi cutting out (or skipping) some seconds
> from it:
>
> mecoder input.avi -hr-edl-seek -edl input.edl -ovc copy -oac copy -o
> output.avi

-hr-edl-seek is not garunteed to work correctly with -ovc copy, but it
should work ok in this case.

> however, this did not work. That is the frames to be cut out are still in
> the output.avi which has the same size as input.avi has. (Testing the EDL
> with mplayer is OK [it skips the unwanted part]:
> mplayer -edl input.edl input.avi)

That is odd.. There have been some updates to edl in mencoder since
1.0pre7, you might want to try cvs.

- ods15