[MEncoder-users] which vcodec to use?

SZABO Zsolt szazs at mm.bme.hu
Wed Jan 4 10:35:12 CET 2006

[a lot of newbie question follows]
The howtos mostly mention mpeg4 (lavc) in the examples. And because it
seemed to me some kind of newly accepted ISO format I used also mpeg4.

However, the avi created with mencoder0.92 and '-ovc lavc
-lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4' differs somehow in its header from the one created
with mencoder1.0pre7. The linux file utils says for the first one that
this is a "video: uncompressed DIVX" (or such) but for the latter one it
says nothing ("video: ,audio: ...").
When playing the movie with mplayer there is a "Video: [DIV4] ..." line
for the older type and "Video: [FMP4] ..." for the newer one.

I only asked this because it was a problem to play the newer mpeg4 avi
files under w*ndows (XP + MediaPlayer). As "ultima ratio" I suggested him
to download mplayer for w*ndows, which worked. However, he missed the GUI
frontend for it. Does this available only under Cygwin?

TIA,
sZs