[MEncoder-users] Time to encode a typical DVD to xvid

Nik Martin mencoder at nik-martin.com
Sun Dec 24 05:29:57 CET 2006

On 12/23/06, sfullenwider <list-catcher at hellburner.com> wrote:

> How long does it take most people to encode a typical DVD to an xvid
> avi?  It's taking me around 15 hours a pass, which just seems far too
> much to me.

on my 1.5 gHz Centrino laptop, I can do a two pass encode of a full
length feature film in about 4 hours.  15 hours seems excessive.  My
first pass usually runs at 35 fps and my second at 12 fps.

I do an additional step in the beginning , a straight unencoded copy
of the source to my HD, then all activities use this avi, to save my
dvd drive:

My DVD ripping script, a Windows Batch file:

rem @echo off
rem (c)2006 nik martin

set dvddrive=d:
set fakestring=xxx

rem clean up old rips
del divx2pass.log
del tmprip.avi

rem prompt for some info
IF not %fakestring%%1==xxx  goto batch

:prompt
set /P title="Which title would you like (usually 1)? "
if [%title%]==[] goto prompt

:output
set /P output="What to call the output file? "
if [%output%]==[] goto output

:config
echo "Running CropDetect, press ctrl+c when satisfied"
mplayer -vf cropdetect -dvd-device %dvddrive% dvd://%title%
set /P config="Any Additional -vf config (cropdetect, pullup,pp=md, etc)? "

:batchret

rem save the dvd by getting it onto the hd as a full  avi
mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy -dvd-device %dvddrive% dvd://%title% -o tmprip.avi

rem a little delay
ping localhost

rem video track (pass: 1)
mencoder -oac copy -ovc xvid  pass=1 tmprip.avi -o NUL

rem another small delay
ping localhost

rem video + audio track (pass: 2, vbitrate: 1200)
mencoder -oac mp3lame -lameopts mode=1:cbr:br=96:vol=2 -ovc xvid
-xvidencopts vhq=4:trellis:pass=2:bitrate=1200 -sws 1 -vf "%config%"
tmprip.avi -o "%output%"

rem if deinterlaced, add -vf pullup,pp=md
rem one more delay
ping localhost

rem cleanup
del divx2pass.log