[MEncoder-users] Re: Movies cut short and unable to play in other players.

Grant Wagner kithera at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 19 05:47:51 CET 2006

Also, I seem to see that the video also stops around 1:40...

Grant Wagner <kithera at yahoo.com> wrote: Hi All,

  I've been using mencoder to rip dvds for use in a creative vision w, and I've had the following issues with it. When the exception of the per dvd title, angle, language, sub and crop values, I've been using the following two pass commmands for all of them

mencoder.exe  dvd://1 -vf crop=720:272:0:104 -ofps 24000/1001 -af volnorm=1:1.0 -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=192 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=1200:turbo:vpass=1 -o vid.avi -ffourcc XVID
mencoder.exe  dvd://1 -vf crop=720:272:0:104 -ofps 24000/1001 -af volnorm=1:1.0 -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=192 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:mbd=2:mv0:trell:v4mv:cbp:last_pred=3:predia=2:dia=2:vmax_b_frames=2:vb_strategy=1:precmp=2:cmp=2:subcmp=2:preme=2:qns=2:vbitrate=1200:vpass=2 -o vid.avi -ffourcc XVID

#1, I find that my movies seem to be cut when played on my hardware device, missing about the last 10 minutes. In my most recent attempt (Howl's Moving Castle) I  thought it might have something to do with creating a new RIFF chunk, but that doesn't seem to be the case, as the split happens at 1:28:05 into the movie and the player will happily go past that.

#2, Despite using standard MPEG 4 for video and MPEG1 layer 3 for audio, I can't seem to be able to play any of these videos using 3rd part software (winamp microsoft media player 11). Windows media player will simply throw an error, while winamp seems to start the video and then instantly stops and tryies to start again over and over again. when I used no vcodec options other than bitrate, codec and pass, I had no issues at all. Oh, and it should be noted that I dont' have fdshow installed, but the regular xvid codec.

#3, my subtitles appear to be a little transparent, can I control the opacity when working with DVD subs?

Thanks,
Grant