[MEncoder-users] subtitling

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Tue Aug 22 19:10:33 CEST 2006

Alejandro Vargas wrote:
> 2006/8/21, Corey Hickey <bugfood-ml at fatooh.org>:
>> If you're using lavc to encode, try either or both of these options:
>>    qns=2
>> This will make encoding very slow but might help sharp edges.
>
> I think there is a different problem because the blocks only appears
> on the very first subtitle that is shown. It does not matter when is
> it shown. It may be in the first second or 2 minutes later, but only
> the first has the problem...
>
>> Once you send your command line I may be able to point out more.
>
> Ok, the command line (for the first pass) is this:
>
> mencoder 7041.avi -ovc lavc -lavcopts
> vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=1008:vpass=1:vqmax=31:vhq:v4mv:dia=2 -oac
> mp3lame -lameopts cbr:mode=0:br=96 -noodml -ffourcc DIVX -v -o
> test1.2.avi -sub subtitles.sub -noodml -fontconfig -subfont-text-scale
> 3 -subcp utf8 -subwidth 80 -noskip -skiplimit 1

There are many high-quality lavc options you have omitted. If you have
some CPU time to spare, you should read MPlayer's HTML documentation (on
the website) for a better list of options.

Also, did you try this one?
vrc_eq=(tex+10^8*mcVar)^0.6

Alternatively, try using XviD. I won't go into the details of why it
might or might not work better for you. You can search the archives and
find one or two recent flamewars. ;)

> Noodml is necesary because in large pictures, the info inserted after
> 2Gb breaks my divx player. Fourcc is necesary because "FFDX" is not

(you mean FMP4)

> known by my divx player. "noscip and skiplimit avoids a-v sync
> problems when there are many dropped frames. The bitrate for video is
> obtained by parsing a mplayer -identify of the original file, then it
> uses the same bitrate of it.

Note that using the original bitrate won't end up giving you a file that
looks as good as the original. Still, 1008 is pretty high and should be
sufficient for what you're doing, depending on the resolution. What
resolution is the video?

> The second pass is the samb but with vpass=2
>
> The output of mencoder is:
>
> MEncoder dev-CVS-051220-04:08-4.0.1 (C) 2000-2005 MPlayer Team

That's pretty old. I don't think it's causing your problem, but you
really should upgrade to 1.0pre8 or latest SVN.

-Corey