[MEncoder-users] Sony DSC-M1 and Philips DVP642

Giacomo Comes comes at naic.edu
Tue Aug 22 18:25:32 CEST 2006

On Sat, Aug 19, 2006 at 03:11:49PM -0500, Rick Richardson wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 19, 2006 at 01:01:41PM -0400, Giacomo Comes wrote:

> > > Really, I would like to take Sony DSC-M1 directly off the camera with
> > > NO mencoder processing at all.  For sure, I don't want to encode the
> > > video at all, just copy it.
> >
> > If you send me a small (few seconds) sample, I can do some test with
> > mencoder and my DVP642 and let you know what are the results.
>
> Sample:
>     http://www.rkkda.com/tmp/test.mp4

As expected, you can play your movie on the DVP642 without reencoding the video.

This command line will do it:
mencoder -ffourcc DX50 -ovc copy -o test.avi test.mp4 -oac lavc -oac mp3lame

It can be a bit faster if you use mp2 or ac3 audio instead of mp3.

A problem I found with the DVP642 is that and avi created with mencoder will play,
but as soon as you do fast forward, it will stop immediatly.
One solution I found is to run mencoder again:
mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy -forceidx -o fix.avi test.avi

This procedure works for video reencoded by mencoder in the first pass.
I don't know if it will work for video simply copied. You have to test it.
Your sample was too short for this check.

Giacomo