[MEncoder-users] using mencoder as a virtual device

Reza Roboubi reza at parvan.net
Sat Apr 15 22:32:16 CEST 2006

RC wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 10:50:28 -0700
> Reza Roboubi <reza at parvan.net> wrote:
>

>>Maybe it's the feeling that "why bother wasting all this effort to go
>>to RealPlayer?"  or, "why not just spend the effort on MPlayer?"  In
>>case you're having such thoughts RC, I really sympathize with you a
>>great deal.
>

> Yes, that was (more or less) the point...  A little packet capture, to
> see what commands realplayer is sending to the server, and a small
> modification to MPlayer should get this clip working just as well as
> the rest.  I would suggest putting your efforts in that direction
> instead.

Four questions:

First, is the protocol fairly human readable, like HTML,
and if not, are there some tips to get me through the crypto?

Second, what packet capture tools would you recommend?  (How's
netwag?)

Third, out of my curiosity, what _is_ the deal with RealSystem
SDK, and other than it being proprietary, are there other reasons
why we don't use it?

And forth, what's a good place to find out more about the legal
issues (in various countries.)

Thanks so much.

Reza.