[MEncoder-users] Too many video packets in the buffer

EC zybhjk at verizon.net
Sun Sep 25 05:16:57 CEST 2005

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 04:14:24 -0400
Rich Felker <dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 17, 2005 at 01:56:41PM -0400, EC wrote:
> > What happened is these films are 100% progressive and
> > soft-telecined, but encoding with -ofps 24000/1001 (or the
> > equivelent pal value, I suppose), gave a lot of "Skipping Frame"
>
> How much is "a lot"?
>
> > message, and the output was very choppy. I tried -mc 0 and that
> > fixed the output but left the audio horribly out of sync.
> >
> > The solution I found was to encode the audio and not use -oac copy.
> > With mp3lame the output is fine. But since I want the ac3 track, I
> > dump it from the dvd and then remux it with mkvmerge after encoding
> > the avi, discarding the mp3 track. Waste of cpu time yes, but I
> > don't know that much about keep a-v sync so I am just trying to be
> > cautious :).
> >
> > Maybe mplayer is not doing correct processing of the audio when just
> > called to copy, and then frames are skipped to keep audio sync?
>
> This is very very strange... Never seen anything like it!
>
> Rich

A lot is about 1 every 50-100 frames, but the output was overall choppy, not just at these problem spots.  It also seemed to be at the same spots per disc, I suppose this is to be expected though.

I have a good example now with the 'Pulp Fiction' dvd.  It is mixed progessive and telecine, and all the following are with -vf pullup,softskip -ofps 24000/1001.  When I encode with -oac copy, I get "1 duplicate frame(s)!" every 5 frames during the brief telecined parts, and then when the demuxer switches to progressive, "Skipping frame!" every 40-50 frames.  The output is noticably choppy during these parts.  With -oac mp3lame I still get the duplicates during telecined, but it runs through the progressive cleanly.  The output is fine.

I hope you don't mind that I cc'ed you, I just figured that since this thread is getting old, you might not see this message otherwise, with mutt's great threading and all :).  I think this is worth someone more experienced than myself looking at as well.

//EC