[MEncoder-users] Too many video packets in the buffer

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Sep 27 00:08:25 CEST 2005

On Sat, Sep 24, 2005 at 11:16:57PM -0400, EC wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 04:14:24 -0400
> Rich Felker <dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Sep 17, 2005 at 01:56:41PM -0400, EC wrote:
> > > What happened is these films are 100% progressive and
> > > soft-telecined, but encoding with -ofps 24000/1001 (or the
> > > equivelent pal value, I suppose), gave a lot of "Skipping Frame"
> >
> > How much is "a lot"?
> >
> > > message, and the output was very choppy. I tried -mc 0 and that
> > > fixed the output but left the audio horribly out of sync.
> > >
> > > The solution I found was to encode the audio and not use -oac copy.
> > > With mp3lame the output is fine. But since I want the ac3 track, I
> > > dump it from the dvd and then remux it with mkvmerge after encoding
> > > the avi, discarding the mp3 track. Waste of cpu time yes, but I
> > > don't know that much about keep a-v sync so I am just trying to be
> > > cautious :).
> > >
> > > Maybe mplayer is not doing correct processing of the audio when just
> > > called to copy, and then frames are skipped to keep audio sync?
> >
> > This is very very strange... Never seen anything like it!
> >
> > Rich
>
> A lot is about 1 every 50-100 frames, but the output was overall
> choppy, not just at these problem spots. It also seemed to be at the
> same spots per disc, I suppose this is to be expected though.
>
> I have a good example now with the 'Pulp Fiction' dvd. It is mixed
> progessive and telecine, and all the following are with -vf
> pullup,softskip -ofps 24000/1001. When I encode with -oac copy, I
> get "1 duplicate frame(s)!" every 5 frames during the brief
> telecined parts, and then when the demuxer switches to progressive,
> "Skipping frame!" every 40-50 frames. The output is noticably choppy
> during these parts. With -oac mp3lame I still get the duplicates
> during telecined, but it runs through the progressive cleanly. The
> output is fine.

I don't think this is related to your original problem. MEncoder is
known to mess up sync sometimes with mixed hard and soft telecine
(that's what you mean, right?). I don't really know any good fixes
that aren't a huge pain to do (extra passes, external programs, etc.)

> I hope you don't mind that I cc'ed you, I just figured that since
> this thread is getting old, you might not see this message
> otherwise, with mutt's great threading and all :). I think this is
> worth someone more experienced than myself looking at as well.

I do mind, and I have no idea what you're smoking.. A thread is always
pulled to the end of the list when there's a new post in it, and all
new posts are flagged anyway...

Please do not cc off-list. Normally my mail filters would just discard
such cc's anyway, but some reason yours got through..

Rich