[MEncoder-users] h263 length problem with raw stream encoding

jose at tecnosfera.org jose at tecnosfera.org
Fri Sep 16 09:33:29 CEST 2005

Hi everyone again!!

I sent a mail about this problem few weeks ago, with no results.. but
yesterday i was chatting in the #mplayer channel and i found more people
with this problem, so i'll try again to find an answer about it... Here we
go:

I'm encoding mpeg and avi videos to a raw h263 stream. When i pass
mencoder default encoding options for lavc codec the resulting video looks
fine, but when i try to manage bitrate ( -vbitrate option ) the resulting
video is less than the original video, i.e. the duration of the original
videos are 1.33, and with a target bitrate of 48kbs the resulting video
duration is 1.31...

I need to manage the bitrate because i need this video stream for a
video-conference application, and the bandwidth is limitate ( 48 - 50 kbs
and 10 fps ).

I'm using MEncoder Sherpya-MinGW-20050906-3.4.4 for windows, and my
mencoder command is like follows:

>mencoder example.avi -sws 9 -vf scale=176:144 -nosound -of rawvideo -ovc
lavc -lavcopts vcodec=h263:vbitrate=48 -ofsp 10 -o example.263

You can try to do this at home with any video and compare the both lengths
( avi and raw ).

¿Any ideas to solve this problem ?

Thanks in advance and excuse me for my pitiful english.