[MEncoder-users] converting multiple audio streams

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Tue Sep 20 01:17:01 CEST 2005

On Monday, 19 September 2005 at 11:52, Alejandro Vargas wrote:
> 2005/9/19, José Queiroz <zekkerj at gmail.com>:
> > By the way, the question is still valid; even not recoding the video
> > stream, I could possibly need to convert the audios, in example, or
> > just cat the two pieces of the movie.
>
> As far I know, mencoder can only process one video stream and one
> audio stream at a time because it work like mplayer, but not
> displaying the result in the screen. It sends tha output to the
> encoder and it to the disk. Then it can only process one audio stream
> at a time.
>
> There is an easy way to do what you want. You can use mplayer to dump
> one of the audio streams to an mp3 or ac3 file. Then once you
> recompressed the file with the other audio stream, you can use
> avimerge (from transcode) to add the missing stream that you want.
>
> By the way, it may be good to re-encode the xvid stream to divx
> because many hardware divx players drops many frames when playing
> xvid. It may be an unefficient implementation of the decoder or a slow
> cpu in the player, but the problem is there and can ve avoided by
> using lavc's divx instead of xvid.

Just to clarify (again): libavcodec's mpeg4 codec does not produce "DivX"
files. All of these (XviD, DivX and lavc's mpeg4) are implementations
(varying in completeness) of the MPEG-4 standard, but they're not the
same. The best you can do for set-top players is to use MPEG-4 profiles
(present in recent xvidcore beta, coming soon to lavc) and set FourCC to
something that your player will recognize.

R.