[MEncoder-users] Mencode a movie for a PDA

Hassel, Scott Scott.Hassel at bcbsfl.com
Mon Nov 28 15:35:01 CET 2005

Which PDA and OS?

I convert for viewing on a palm t3 and the screen is 480:320. I use 30fps and a video bitrate of 400. The movies come out very nice.

The mencoder command I use:

mencoder "inputfile" -vf scale [480:-2 (widescreen) or -2:320 (4:3)] -sws 1 -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=128 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=400 -o "outputfile"

This is just a basic single pass encoding. With the smaller screens, I find 2 pass encoding to be completely unnecessary. If I were to drop the bitrate below 400, I bet that the encoding could benefit from 2 pass and a couple of other parameters, however as I usually don't keep movies on my SD cards after watching them the benefit is just not there.