[MEncoder-users] MSMPEGV2 / lavc options

Mario Valle mvalle at cscs.ch
Tue May 24 10:05:40 CEST 2005

Jan Paul Schmidt wrote:

> Am 23.05.2005 um 16:52 schrieb Mario Valle:
>
>> Take a look at <http://www.cscs.ch/~mvalle/mencoder/experiment.html>
>

> Did you consider using trell in your tests?

If I remember correctly trell crashed MSMPEG4V2 codec. But was a long time ago. I plan to
rethink the whole issues when time permits...

>> Unfortunately now a new contender entered the arena and I have
>> problems with MSMPEG4V2 encoded movies on Mac OS.
>

> QT7? Apples AVI support is lousy and they don't care about fixing for
> years known compatibility issues. Most of the AVIs I only get to work
> with DIVX Doctor (http://http://doctor.3ivx.com/), if they should play
> with QT. Mplayer really spoiled me the last years.

Thanks for the suggestion and link!

>> Hope it helps.
>

> Yes. Thanks. It is good to know I'm not the only one ;o)

Scientific movies are a crazy beast when you want to spread the results of your research.
It is impratical to make available various versions of the same movie. And a low quality
movie really obscure the importance of any finding. Detais lost due to low quality cannot
be recovered by previous experience like the viewer can do for a normal movie.

Ciao!
		mario