[MEncoder-users] MSMPEGV2 / lavc options

Jan Paul Schmidt jps at fundament.org
Tue May 24 09:33:57 CEST 2005

Am 24.05.2005 um 07:14 schrieb RC:

> On Mon, 23 May 2005 16:46:14 +0200
> Jan Paul Schmidt <jps at fundament.org> wrote:
>
>> 	Is it possible to use some of the MPEG4 options, as MSMPEGV2
>> is some sort of MPEG4?
>
> I'm not sure what "MPEG4 options" you are referring to.  Most of the
> lavc options apply to MPEG1, MPEG2, etc. as well as MPEG4.

Do all options where no MPEG-4 is mentioned in the manual apply to
MPEG1 and MPEG2? Could one say, they are (MPEG-) codec independant? I
know I'm leaving a well known path by using MSMPEGV2 and to put the
question different: What can I take with me on this journey from what I
learned the last years encoding with ,,normal'' MPEG-4. I know it is an
old codec, it does not have a good quality and so on.

> If the lavcopts are what you are referring to, yes, many of them should
> work.  "Advanced" profile options like v4mv, qpel, bframes, etc. most
> likely won't playback properly with WMP, though I've never
> actually tried using them.

So I am on my own...

>> 	If yes, what options are really considered while encoding?
>> (trell, mbd, v4mv?)
>
> I have no idea what you are trying to ask here.

Does a codec choke if a option is given it does not understand or does
it ignore it?

jps