[MEncoder-users] Re: MPlayer: A/V out of sync at start of mpeg movie converted by mencoder

Nico Sabbi nsabbi at fastwebnet.it
Fri May 13 10:24:07 CEST 2005

>I converted a VCD movie in .dat format to mpeg using mencoder. However,
when I >play the movie using MPlayer, there is an initial starting gap between
audio and >video, which remains constant throughout the movie. Is this a
known bug of >mencoder/mplayer? What should be done to correct this?

>Note that when I play the movie using other software (player made from >gstreamer),
there is perfect A/V sync.

>The mencoder command I gave was:
>
>mencoder -ofps 30 -of mpeg -vf scale=640:480 -o <dest_file.mpg> -oac lavc
>-lavcopts acodec=mp2 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video <src_file.dat>

often I experienced strange things when playing vcd streams (e.g. track number
seems to be ignored, it doesn't seem to be possible to exclude the initial
track, etc), so I'm not all that surprised.
If delay is constat it's easy to fix: use -mpegopts vdelay=...:drop explained
in the man page.