[MEncoder-users] Deinterlacing produces red and green ghost effects - looks off

Sebastian sebastian_ml at gmx.net
Wed May 11 21:31:58 CEST 2005

Rich Felker schrieb:
> On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 08:27:36PM +0200, Sebastian wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>I got some interlaced PAL material here. I'm trying to deinterlace, but
>>no matter which filter I use the result looks off when there's high
>>motion. I'm using mplayer/mencoder CVS-050511-14:33-3.3.5-20050130.
>>I've uploaded pictures of a guy in a smoking rasing his hand and then
>>lowering it.
>>
>>http://www-users.rwth-aachen.de/sebastian.kemper/deinterlace1.png
>>
>>Here the guy raises his hand. The red ghost hands is faster then the
>>guys hand.
>>
>>http://www-users.rwth-aachen.de/sebastian.kemper/deinterlace2.png
>>
>>Here the guy lowers his hand. But this time a green ghost hand is slower
>>then the guys hand.
>>
>>What's wrong? Can the filters be fixed? Or is it because the first half
>>of the movie is progressive and the second is interlaced and mplayers
>>decoder doesn't get it? I read something alike here:
>>http://forums.3ivx.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard/topic.cgi?forum=14&topic=124
>>They figured it's the "Chroma Bug" and linked a description.
>

> You don't tell us anything about the source of this video. IMO you
> captured it with a bttv card in "yv12" mode (4:2:0), in which the
> driver gives nonsense output (it lies that it supports 4:2:0...
> instead it gives you output with one of the chroma fields missing). If
> you can recapture, do it. Otherwise just be happy with a single field,
> doing something like this to encode from your broken capture:
>
> -vf pp=ci:y
>     OR
> -vf field=0
>
> If I guessed wrong, then tell us what you're trying to encode and
> where it came from. Otherwise we can't help anymore..
>
> Rich

Hi Rich,

sorry my second mail didn't reach you in time. All is good now. It was
related to my cropping vertically not being dividable by 4. In the end I
 used my old cropping values (not dividable by 4 but by 2) and put the
deinterlacer before the cropping. The source is a PAL DVD. That's why I
didn't think of the 'by 4' rule in the first place, because the section
in the mplayer docs is mainly for NTSC material. The source is pretty
messed up, though, the interlacing starts in the middle of the movie.
Maybe that's why this chroma thing applies here, too.

Cheers

Sebastian