[MEncoder-users] capture: synchronization problems

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Sun Mar 20 05:46:36 CET 2005

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 20:52:55 +0100
newsgrabber at poczta.onet.pl wrote:

> I think mjpeg gives a pretty good material for further encoding into DVD or
> CVCD. Or do you know something better?

I don't know why you would use MJPEG.  Why not just capture with MPEG-2 with a rather high bitrate?

> Another questions would be: where (and if) should I apply deinterlacing - the
> target is TV, but possibly PC. Should I deinterlace while capturing or while
> re-encoding?

Probably best not to deinterlace if you are going to play it back on a TV.

> And what filter does the best job? (I don't care about time of
> re-encoding).

That's entirely a matter of opinion...

The most popular ones seem to be "pp=md" and "kerndeint".
I prefer "pp=lb" because I HATE the aliasing, noise, and other artifacts those other deinterlacers produce, and I can tolerate the very minor bluring of details, and ghosting during fast motion,that lb causes.