[MEncoder-users] capture: synchronization problems

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sat Mar 19 22:23:11 CET 2005

On Sat, Mar 19, 2005 at 09:28:48PM +0100, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> On Saturday, 19 March 2005 at 20:52, newsgrabber at poczta.onet.pl wrote:
> > THANKS FOR HELP.
> >
> > although the problem was somewhere else. I tried to look for some other
> > package for mdk.
> >
> > It seems there must be some bug in MEncoder 1.0pre6-3.4.1,  while
> > version 1.0pre6-3.2.2 WORKS JUST FINE.
>
> If that's true, there might be a bug in gcc-3.4.1, because the code is
> exactly the same. The part after '-' in MPlayer/MEncoder version string is
> the compiler version that was used to build it.
>
> > BTW: I'm going to record the material with pcm audio and mjpeg (or nuv)
> > video. I think mjpeg gives a pretty good material for further encoding
> > into DVD or CVCD. Or do you know something better?
>
> You might want to try one of the losless codecs, if you've got enough
> space.
>
> > Another questions would be: where (and if) should I apply deinterlacing
> > - the target is TV, but possibly PC. Should I deinterlace while
> > capturing or while re-encoding? And what filter does the best job? (I
> > don't care about time of re-encoding).
>
> If your target is TV, then you're better off not deinterlacing at all.
> It's easy enough to deinterlace at playback time on PC and you won't lose
> quality by encoding deinterlaced material.

It's a tough question. You destroy half the original quality by
deinterlacing (unless you do tfields/60fps), but you also make the
signal a lot more compressible. Compressing interlaced video takes
much higher bitrate.

Still I would recommend NOT deinterlacing. But if you don't
deinterlace, you MUST keep the vertical size same as original (480 for
ntsc, 576 for pal) and you MUST use the ildct and ilme options to
lavc. Otherwise you'll get horrible cross-field corruption.

Rich