[MEncoder-users] [BUG] a-v sync problems with pullup, softskip (only on some DVDs)

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Thu Mar 17 03:13:15 CET 2005

D Richard Felker III wrote:

> Thank you very much for this sample. It revealed a huge bug in
> vf_pullup's buffer management/av-sync when the input file is partially
> soft-telecined. Please upgrade to latest cvs and see if the a/v desync
> is fixed.

You're quite welcome; thank you for the support. The A-V sync problems
went away with your previous patch, at least on that clip. With your
second patch the sync still seems fine; I'll tell you if I encounter
problems on any other encodes.

I don't mean to sound picky or demanding, but can anything be done about
the amount of frames that get duplicated? Visually, it's hardly
noticable in this clip, but once in a while duplicated frames sneak into
other places too. I was too lazy to isolate and bugreport it earlier
(shame on me), but now that you have the same clip as I do I figured I
ought to ask.

As you can see from these examples, mencoder duplicates lots more frames
when using pullup:

bugfood at bugfood:~/mpbug$ mencoder buffer.vob -aid 128 \
-vf pullup,softskip,crop=714:352:2:62,scale=688:288 \
-ovc lavc -oac copy -ofps 24000/1001 -o /dev/null 2>&1 | \
grep 'duplicate frame(s)!' | wc -l
75

(only the changed line is shown below)

-vf softpulldown,ivtc=1,crop=714:352:2:62,scale=688:288 \
31

-vf crop=714:352:2:62,scale=688:288 \
8

If it's too difficult to fix, don't worry about it - it's not a big deal.

Thanks again,
Corey