[MEncoder-users] [BUG] a-v sync problems with pullup, softskip (only on some DVDs)

Phil Ehrens phil at slug.org
Wed Mar 16 03:23:19 CET 2005

Corey Hickey wrote:
> Phil Ehrens wrote:
> >Corey, would you mind if I copied your description of these
> >"classes" to the transcode wiki for inclusion into a document
> >detailing the vagaries of NTSC dvd and TV formats?
> >

> Certainly, no problem. If you're making a compilation, you might want to
> ask Rich too; I'm sure he's seen some more.
>
> Also, If you talk about telecine, you might want to use 60000/1001
> instead of 59.97, 30000/1001 instead of 29.97, and 24000/1001 instead of
> 23.976. I don't know if transcode can use franctional framerate values,
> but the fractions are the actual NTSC framerates, whereas the decimals
> are approximations.
>
> I explain why in a not-yet-applied patch to the mencoder documentation:
> http://mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-docs/2005-March/004874.html
>
> I just uploaded a patched version to my server for you:
> http://fatooh.org/files/menc-feat-telecine.html
> Don't make any permanent links to it, though; I'll delete that file when
> (if) my patch gets applied.

I will assume that the patch will get applied, as it is very
informative, and very nicely laid out as well.

For the Transcode page, which will link to a local copy of the
Mencoder documentation, I would just like to present your categories
as a starting point for discussion. I would like it even more
if you would contribute directly to the wiki yourself (contact me
via email for the password), but I do not want to draw you away
from the mencoder documentation. Mencoder documentation is
certainly fair game for the transcode wiki, however. It would
be unfair for a package called Transcode to ignore other transcoding
software (and in fact, mplayer is a very important part of Transcode,
in the form of an invaluable import module). I use mencoder nearly
every day.

Thank you!

Phil
--