[MEncoder-users] from [divx-whatever-foo-bar] to theora

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sat Mar 5 16:11:03 CET 2005

On Sat, Mar 05, 2005 at 02:29:14PM +0100, Rakotomandimby (R12y) Mihamina wrote:
> Hello,
> I would like people to discover theora.

You shouldn't. It's lies and propaganda. Read the archives on the
mplayer lists if you want to know why.

> I have a "fast" connection server available (symetric 6Mbps). I use it
> for some p2p.
> What I would like to do is to convert all the shared divx files to
> theora, so that people downloading see the power of theora.

All this will do is convince people theora sucks, since converting
ALWAYS lowers quality no matter what codecs you're using.

> So,
>
> - what are the ./configure options needed to do so ?

None, mencoder does not support the theora codec for encoding.

> - Once compiled and instlled, how to invoke mencoder/mplayer (I want to
> make it a cron job so that it automaticcally convert every non-theora
> files)

Uhg.

Rich