[MEncoder-users] Trimming video

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Sat Jun 25 17:13:42 CEST 2005

On Sat, Jun 25, 2005 at 01:23:07AM -0700, Scott W. Larson wrote:
> Rich Felker wrote:
>
> >On Fri, Jun 24, 2005 at 10:19:37PM -0500, Pete Davis wrote:
> >

> >>I'm not sure what 60i or 24p are. It's definitely interlaced because
> >>without
> >>any filters, if I pause during movement, the interlacing is very obvious.
> >>It's 29.97 frames/sec.
> >>

> >Then you need to read about video before you try to encode...
> >Otherwise you'll just make a mess.
> >

> Or you can read about video AND experiment with encoding. You'll end up
> with horrible messes but you'll learn a lot from them. In fact I'd say

For sure? Lots of people are too ignorant to begin with to tell if a
video has been improperly deinterlaced. They can't see the difference
in 30fps and 60fps, and can't tell if they've thrown away half the
resolution either.. If they can't see the problem, how are they
supposed to learn from it?

> that anyone who's never messed up something with mencoder hasn't
> experimented with it enough.

:)

Rich