[MEncoder-users] Trimming video

Oded Shimon ods15 at ods15.dyndns.org
Fri Jun 24 19:41:28 CEST 2005

On Fri, Jun 24, 2005 at 12:26:27PM -0500, Pete Davis wrote:
> Sorry about the HTML. I didn't intend to send an HTML message. Stupid
> Outlook.
>
> Actually, I tried before I posted which is why I posted.
>
> It gives me an "error parsing cmdline" if I pass -edl edit.edl in the
> command line.

Update your MEncoder. as of MEncoder 1.0pre7, mencoder supports -edl .
There's also another option you might be interested in, -hr-edl-seek ,
which allows MEncoder to cut and non-keyframe boundries. Obviously, _only_
if you re-encode the entire video. It does still work with -ovc copy, but
not gracefully. So:

mencoder capture.avi -ovc lavc -edl cuts.edl -hr-edl-seek -o output.avi

Also, just as a sidenote, order of options doesn't matter if you have only
one file unless you're overriding options.