[MEncoder-users] Mencoder finishes early on DVD to Divx encoding

Pete Davis pete at petedavis.net
Wed Jun 22 05:20:56 CEST 2005

Nowhere did I suggest that the scripts could be used without changes. The
idea is that they're examples. But yes, for all the discs in a particular
series, a single script is reusable. With minor alterations, it can be used
for another series.

> > describes the options and what the different flags represent, the user
> can
> > then decide if maybe they want to change some of those options. They
> might
> > look at another example and pick pieces from it and combine the two into
> > what they need.
> >
> > Of course there's no single way to do it. Hell, there are a tons of
> options.
> > But show some of the common scenarios. Show encoding a progressive DVD.
> Then
> > show an interlaced. Show what options are different between the two.
>
> It's nowhere near that simple. You really cannot encode without
> understanding the content you're dealing with. Otherwise your results
> will come out very bad.

Where do I suggest that people do it in complete ignorance to the
documentation or the format of the content. Again, the idea is to provide
EXAMPLES, not something people will necessarily be able to use "out of the
box".

Nowhere do I suggest the documentation shouldn't be read or used. What I'm
suggesting is something in addition to the existing documentation.

> > Show encoding to Divx.
>
> No, divx is deprecated.
>
> > Then show encoding to XVid.
>
> You left out the good choice, lavc...
>
> > Having whole examples, I think, is easier than digging through the docs
> and
> > piecing together, oh, I need this flag, and this parameter, and I need
> that
>
> Have you ever read the docs? They're very good.

Yes, it is good. What it's lacking, in my humble opinion, is examples. It's
very descriptive and it goes into great detail, but encoding my first movie
well took a lot longer than I think it had to. I think with more examples, I
might have gotten up to speed faster and the documentation might have made a
little more sense to me seeing things in context.

> > Doing it in a Wiki is fine too. That actually has the advantage that
> people
> > will probably be good about updating when parameters or functionality
> > changes.
>
> The idea of wiki was already quickly shot down a long time ago. People
> wanting to contribute should send patches for the official
> documentation.

I don't care how it's done. I don't even care if it's done. All I'm offering
is a suggestion. Take it, leave it. I don't really care.