[MEncoder-users] Mencoder finishes early on DVD to Divx encoding

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Jun 22 04:59:11 CEST 2005

On Tue, Jun 21, 2005 at 09:01:38PM -0500, Pete Davis wrote:

> >> A dozen or two of these, with just a short paragraph describing what the
> >> script does, could demonstrate a pretty wide range of things that can be
> >> done and provide a good source for people to cut and paste their own.
> >
> > Except that I wouldn't call them scripts. Examples, yes, but not scripts.
> > calling them scripts suggests they actually do something, while with video
> > encoding, it all depends on the source and what you want to achieve. There
> > is no single way to "turn a DVD movie into an AVI" or "to turn a DVD TV
> > Show into multiple AVIs". Each case is unique and you have to know what
> > you're doing if you are to do it right.
> >
> > R.
>
> Well, yes and no. For example, if you want to create a Divx of a TV series
> from DVD, it's pretty easy to come up with a single script that you can
> re-use for each chapter and each disc. And if your paragraph explanation

For all the discs of ONE PARTICULAR SERIES, yes. Otherwise your
statement is blatently false.

> describes the options and what the different flags represent, the user can
> then decide if maybe they want to change some of those options. They might
> look at another example and pick pieces from it and combine the two into
> what they need.
>
> Of course there's no single way to do it. Hell, there are a tons of options.
> But show some of the common scenarios. Show encoding a progressive DVD. Then
> show an interlaced. Show what options are different between the two.

It's nowhere near that simple. You really cannot encode without
understanding the content you're dealing with. Otherwise your results
will come out very bad.

> Show encoding to Divx.

No, divx is deprecated.

> Then show encoding to XVid.

You left out the good choice, lavc...

> Having whole examples, I think, is easier than digging through the docs and
> piecing together, oh, I need this flag, and this parameter, and I need that

Have you ever read the docs? They're very good.

> Doing it in a Wiki is fine too. That actually has the advantage that people
> will probably be good about updating when parameters or functionality
> changes.

The idea of wiki was already quickly shot down a long time ago. People
wanting to contribute should send patches for the official
documentation.

Rich