[MEncoder-users] Mencoder finishes early on DVD to Divx encoding

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Wed Jun 22 00:40:01 CEST 2005

On Tuesday, 21 June 2005 at 23:22, Pete Davis wrote:
[...]
> I think what's largely lacking in the documentation and what really helps
> people like me, who are new to mencoder out, is to see samples. Examples:
>
> A script to turn a DVD movie into an AVI
> A script to turn a DVD TV Show into multiple AVIs
> A script to convert an existing AVI to a specific audio and video codec.
> A script to re-encode just audio
> A script to re-encode just video
>
> Etc...
>
> A dozen or two of these, with just a short paragraph describing what the
> script does, could demonstrate a pretty wide range of things that can be
> done and provide a good source for people to cut and paste their own.

Except that I wouldn't call them scripts. Examples, yes, but not scripts.
Calling them scripts suggests they actually do something, while with video
encoding, it all depends on the source and what you want to achieve. There
is no single way to "turn a DVD movie into an AVI" or "to turn a DVD TV
Show into multiple AVIs". Each case is unique and you have to know what
you're doing if you are to do it right.

R.