[MEncoder-users] Mencoder finishes early on DVD to Divx encoding

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 23:37:44 CEST 2005

Hi,

On 6/21/05, Pete Davis <pete at petedavis.net> wrote:
> I agree with you regarding following the list. The problem that arises there
> is that in that case, the same information tends to get repeated over and
> over again as new people come to the list.
>
> And I can certainly understand the issue of resources to write the
> documentation. A project this size I'm sure could always use more resources.
>
> One thing that might be a good idea and wouldn't be terribly time intensive,
> would be to put together a collection of scripts on the web site that
> perform various functions and act as examples. Instead of the authors having
> to do the work themselves, people on this list could simply contribute
> whatever scripts they've written. Someone could go through, decide which
> ones are good examples, maybe make minor edits to fix up ones that are
> almost good enough, and then make them available either on the web site or
> in the documentation, or both.
>
> I think what's largely lacking in the documentation and what really helps
> people like me, who are new to mencoder out, is to see samples. Examples:
>
> A script to turn a DVD movie into an AVI
> A script to turn a DVD TV Show into multiple AVIs
> A script to convert an existing AVI to a specific audio and video codec.
> A script to re-encode just audio
> A script to re-encode just video
>
> Etc...
>
> A dozen or two of these, with just a short paragraph describing what the
> script does, could demonstrate a pretty wide range of things that can be
> done and provide a good source for people to cut and paste their own.
>
> Otherwise, people like me end up googling and finding out of date samples.
>
> Anyway, just an idea. But again, the developers on the project could take
> advantage of the people on this list as a source and save themselves some
> work.

I think that this is a smart idea, and projects like wikipedia showed
that it was really rewarding to trust people/users to document/talk
about things.

A wiki doc is better than no doc at all IMHO, and wiki make the update
process a lot easier/flexible than our current system. But I know now
everybody think like me. It would be a lot better if more people could
send doc patches.
A agree that wiki or blog is the fashion thingy of this time, just
like was Java, Zope, or Linux at some point, but some of those proved
to be more than just a trend, but filled an empty spot that other
tools did not fill, so to speak.

Guillaume
--
A woman isn't complete without a man.
But where do you find a man - a real man - these