[MEncoder-users] lavc option nr

Jan Paul Schmidt jps at fundament.org
Tue Jun 21 11:13:05 CEST 2005

Am 21.06.2005 um 06:08 schrieb RC:

> On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 23:10:09 +0200
> Jan Paul Schmidt <jps at fundament.org> wrote:
>
>> At the GOP boundaries a high quantiziser is used and it
>> looks like the picture have a sort of pump effect
>
> nr seems to confuse the ratecontrol.

This was one of the question, if somebody knows how nr works.

> Try your sample after 2 or 3
> passes (not just one) and it should use a higher quantizers there, and
> looks much better.

Sorry, I forgot to mention, that I already tried several passes. The
reason I noticed was a two pass encode. But this problem is totally
independant from the number of passes. Depending on the options,
sometimes the first pass is better than the second.

> I don't know what a "pump effect" is.

It is probably no "offical term", just what it looks like to me. It
looks like the picture is comming to the front for this one frame and
goes back, making the picture jerky, especially during panning.

> Perhaps this is actually a problem with your source video, that is
> partially masked by the noise?

Hm, the source is quite clear. Maybe it is because the video is a
cartoon and not real movie. I'll try this later.

jps