[MEncoder-users] Mencoder finishes early on DVD to Divx encoding

Pete Davis pete at petedavis.net
Sun Jun 19 23:44:54 CEST 2005

I've had trouble finding examples of how to encode with XVid. Frankly, I've
found a lot of the documentation and examples around the web a bit hard to
follow. I've pieced together my script from samples that I've found around
the web. Many times I'll try options I find only to find they're no longer
supported or that there's a new option for it. And since most of the
examples on the web don't have a version number, it's hard to figure out
which version they're writing for.

It would be nice if things didn't change so much making it a little easier
to follow.

I haven't been able to reboot my linux box (apparently I need to, to do the
memtest. I'll hopefully be able to in the next hour or so. Since it's also
my router, I lose connectivity whenever it goes down.

I'll try the options you've posted.

In the meantime, I've done two successful encodings by not using the script
and instead, doing each line of the script, one step at a time. The idea
being that if it failed at a step, I could simply repeat the step. Now
suddenly it seems to be passing at every step.

Maybe it is overheating and the break between steps is causing it to cool
down. I have the box in a separate room with no monitor. I need to pull it
out, hook up a monitor and run some of the visual apps that will let me
monitor the temperature and other parameters so I can see if that's the
problem.

Thanks again for your help.

Pete