[MEncoder-users] Mencoder finishes early on DVD to Divx encoding

Martin Collins martin at mkcollins.org
Sun Jun 19 22:51:45 CEST 2005

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 11:41:56 -0500
"Pete Davis" <pete at petedavis.net> wrote:

> I'm running mencoder 1.0pre6-3.4.2

That's only six months old, but it feels like a lifetime...

> mencoder -dvd-device ./ dvd://$1 -ovc frameno -o frameno.avi -oac
> mp3lame-lameopts cbr:br=128

This frameno thing is so deeply frowned upon it is not even in the
docs anymore.

> mencoder -dvd-device ./ dvd://$1 -oac copy -o movie.avi -ovc lavc
> -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=900:vhq:vpass=2:vqmin=1:vqmax=31
> -vop scale=512:288 -

vqmin=1 is bad, use 2. vhq is obsolete use mbd=2. -vop is obsolete
use -vf.

> Anyone know what could be causing the problem? Should I just upgrade
> to 1.0pre7? Or is the problem somewhere else?

None of the above is likely to be causing your problem.
You should upgrade to pre7, but only if you can't bring yourself to
build from CVS. Then if it still happens (and your RAM checks out) run
with -v and post the output.

Oh, and "Divx" is not a word we use in polite company:-)

Martin